Forums Events Restaurants Articles Farms Caterers Subscribe! My Account

North Carolina BBQ Forums Q&A

Got Questions? We've got Answers!
Welcome to North Carolina BBQ Forums QA Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Why are there time gaps in the posts? - The forums were taken offline in ~2013 and were (finally) restored in 2023. Feel free to start a new thread or reply to an existing one.

Holy Smoke - NC BBQ Book

Last post 03-29-2010, 11:12 PM by Another_Q_Lover. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-23-2010, 12:38 PM 297

Holy Smoke - NC BBQ Book

I am a graduate student at the University of North Carolina.  As part of an assignment, I have been asked to help a local non-profit publishing company advertise and sell one of their books, "Holy Smoke:  The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue", and thought it might be a good addition to your BBQ Reference Library or as a possible resale / gift item.

You can read all about it, and order it, at www.NCBBQBook.com -- enter the promotion code 01MBA20 for a 20% discount and free shipping (Good until Wednesday afternoon).  If you are interested in resale, we can get you discounts up to 50% the cover price, which would bring the cost down to about $15 a book (MSRP is $30).

Feel free to contact me at jasoncrawford@unc.edu, or at 480-223-7495  if you want more information.  Thanks for the help.

•  03-26-2010, 2:22 PM 304 in reply to 297

Re: Holy Smoke - NC BBQ Book

"Holy Smoke" is by far, the best book I've ever read on the subject of barbeque in general, and especially on North Carolina barbeque in particular!!!

The other books on the subject (NC BBQ) include:

“Kent's Carolina Barbecue Book: Carolina barbecue restaurant reviews, recipes, history, culture, more”             By:  H. Kent Craig

"The Best Tar Heel Barbecue: Manteo to Murphy"   By Jim Early

“North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored By Time”        By Bob Garner

"Bob Garner's Guide to North Carolina Barbecue"  By Bob Garner

If anyone knows of any other books on the subject of North Carolina barbeque I'd be much obliged if you'd let me know.

Thanks!

Tom (aka "Another_Q_Lover" & "BBQ.TOM")
    CMJ w/ KCBS
    CBJ w/ MBN, NCPC, NCBS, & NCBBQA
    OBJ w/ BBQ Critic.com
    CTC w/ KCBS
    Pitmaster and Chef - 4 Lil' Pigs Competition Barbecue Team
    Author of "A 'Q' Review"
  •  03-28-2010, 11:56 AM 311 in reply to 304

I believe you have them covered. I haven't checked out H. Kent Craig's book yet but I'm sure it is very good.
  •  03-29-2010, 11:12 PM 322 in reply to 311

It is a bit different from his webpage, with a whole lot more information on the Q-joints that he has reviewed and rated.  I don't totally agree with all of his findings, but then again, I'm sure that not everyone will agree with mine either.  Taste is such a personal issue.

His book is definitely worth taking a gander at if you have a chance!

Tom (aka "Another_Q_Lover" & "BBQ.TOM")
    CMJ w/ KCBS
    CBJ w/ MBN, NCPC, NCBS, & NCBBQA
    OBJ w/ BBQ Critic.com
    CTC w/ KCBS
    Pitmaster and Chef - 4 Lil' Pigs Competition Barbecue Team
    Author of "A 'Q' Review"
View as RSS news feed in XML